Review: Criminal X – ERNIE ELSE IS A POLICE INFORMANT
Criminal X – ERNIE ELSE IS A POLICE INFORMANT
By Craig LeSieg
I fucking love these guys!
Sham 69 and The Exploited had a deranged love child and the coppers named it Criminal X.
First track, “Criminal Sex” you’re thinking these guys just might be completely insane with lyrics like “Herpes, syphilis, he’s had the lot, he’s caught them off his mum, he’s had his brother and sis, he’s been up his father’s bum” (I was laughing my ass off on this one).
Then you’re wanting to know where this is going next, and they surprise you with “1984” a politically charged throw down. “Feels like 1984, police are on the streets, Corruption in the government, their fighting for their seats, Everyone wants a riot, and everyone’s on the dole, No more Tory Government, the police are out of control” Then you realize they are serious, and it’s one great song after another.
The songs are short and to the point, it feels like a brilliant mix of Oi and HC Punk. I haven’t heard many bands that can pull all this off so well but they have it down. The songs can be catchy and easy to get into.
In short Criminal X is a great band. Call it Oi or Punk or what the fuck ever, the bottom line is it’s just damn good music. This is a band I’d love to see live, and I am glad to have them in my collection. Give them a go, you won’t be disappointed.
Special thanks to John Nomatrix and Dead Lamb Records
- Pop Punk Band Figure It Out Stream New EP Early — Arizona-based quartet Figure It Out have emerged with a new EP that marries the fast-paced, anthemic sounds of turn-of-the-century punk with modern pop sensibilities. Although the record won’t officially be available until 9/1, the band has partnered with Kerrang! to premiere the advance stream. The new record is the band’s first release since the sophomore EP Nothing To Lose, which [...]
- The Kimota Bombs! release debut EP “Nuclear Family” on 9/8/2017 — Tampa based Punk group The Kimota Bombs! are releasing their debut EP independently this week! The Kimota Bombs are made up of popular comic book creator, Martin Dunn, his wife Aly Dunn, Dirt T. Manning, Brie Tart, as well as Justin Ahlefeld. This EP was produced and recorded at the homestead of Martin and Aly [...]
- Pop Punk Band Figure It Out Stream New EP — By Craig LeSieg Arizona pop punk band Figure it Out is streaming their new EP “Silence isn’t Golden” for the official September 1st release. The new record is the band’s first release since the sophomore EP “Nothing to Loose”, which featured Blessthefall‘s Beau Bokan. Vocalist/guitarist Mike Weakley says “The first EP we wrote was a play on the nostalgia [...]
- Jukebox Romantics & Ate Bit hit the road! — By Craig LeSieg Jukebox Romantics and Ate Bit announce tour! JBR is gearing up for the release of their new album “Sleepwalk Me Home” by going on tour with Ate Bit and or From Parts Unknown, their shipping out for their first show in Newburgh, NY on September 15th Check out Jukebox Romantics on Spotify If you’re able, get off the [...]
- The Armstrongs helping 924 Gilman st. — By Craig LeSieg Tim Armstrong (Tim Timebomb, Rancid) Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day) and Hellcat Records are keeping Gilman st. alive, donating 100% of proceeds and donations from new song to the iconic venue. If you know anything about East Bay punk, you’ve heard about 924 Gilman st. It has been the starting point for bands like Rancid, [...]