REVIEW: Direct Hit! – Wasted Mind
Direct Hit! – Wasted Mind
By Spriha Shrestha
Direct Hit! is a band that gives pop punk a better name. The angry vocals of Nick Woods and upbeat sound of the rest of the band outshine the run-of-the-mill bands that have taken over mainstream media . They have managed to create a great equilibrium between hardcore and pop punk. Though Wasted Mind does not sound as hard as previous albums such as Domesplitter (2011), they have made an album that mixes loud and powerful with anthem vibes. Many songs on this album seem to grow on you after you listen to it.
Wasted Mind was the debut for Direct Hit! on Fat Wreck Chords when it was released in June 2016. As with their previous albums, it had an overall theme which in this case was drugs. The album starts off with what seems like a parental advisory message except quite the opposite. The message states that anyone over the age of 40 should stop listening to the album and ends with their tagline “FUCK YOU GET PUMPED”. That transitions into the first song of the album “Artificial Confidence” which has upbeat verses and a melodic chorus which is a reoccurring theme with Direct Hit!
One of the faster songs on the album is “Paid in Brains” which comes with a great music video as well. This song is what made me fall in love with this band and has it louder yelling in the verses which are once again followed up with a catchy chorus. Another catchy (but slow) track is “Hospital for Heroes”. Though it does contain some yelling the majority is slower with lyrics that tell an interesting story.
The rest of the album has unique lyrics and power chords that give Direct Hit! their distinct sound. The album finishes with “Do the Sick” where Nick Woods is almost exclusively screaming the entire way through. This track also includes some fun organ and piano solos (which almost sound like a theme song to a kid’s show) and finishes the album off with a nice abrupt ending.
They have been going on tour this year since January with bands such as Anti-Flag and Bowling for Soup. They are also making an appearance in Gainesville and Tampa, FL for The Fest and Pre-Fest with Against Me! and other bands (not necessarily with exclamation points in the name). So if you want to see an upbeat band with great live energy, see if they are coming to a venue near you!
tldr: This band/album is a great combo for people who love hardcore and pop punk plus they put on a fantastic live show.
- Top 10 Punk songs with the same name — By Craig LeSieg 10. Fuck the system – The Exploited – Total Chaos 9. Generals – G.B.H. – The Damned 8. Democracy – Adolescents – The Damned 7. Minority – Subhumans – Green Day 6. Punks not Dead – The Exploited – Goblini 5. Alcohol – Dropkick Murphys – Gang Green 4. Fuck Authority – Pennywise – LA’s Wasted Youth 3. Sick Boy – G.B.H. – Social Distortion 2. Fuck You – Bad Religion – Rancid 1. Time Bomb – G.B.H. – Rancid [...]
- Anti-Flag Releases New Song — Anti-Flag have released a lyric video for a new song called “Racists” on their Facebook page and the Spinefarm Records YouTube channel in response to the events in Charlottesville, VA. The lyrics are about Nazis and white supremacy and how even if you don’t know you’re racist, it doesn’t make up for the fact that [...]
- Counterfeit Culture Release “Apothecary” Music Video Featuring Ricky Armellino of Thi... — Watch “Apothecary” exclusively on Metal Underground For Immediate Release: (August 11, 2017 – New Brunswick, NJ) – Post-hardcore quartet Counterfeit Culture has released a music video featuring Ricky Armellino of This Or The Apocalypse, for their single, “Apothecary“. The video showcases a violent relationship which highlights the message of the band’s recently released EP titled, Deathwish. Guitarist, Patrick Robertson talked about the [...]
- Plan of Attack — Plan of Attack By Craig LeSieg Sixty seconds after the needle drops, “Stick to Your Guns” lets you know you’re about to get a brutal lesson in working class Oi! Straight out of Brisbane Australia, I give you Plan of Attack. Tough, solid, and motivated, this is what Oi should sound like. The music is [...]
- Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein Announces Tour! — FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 9, 2017 – Legendary Misfits Guitarist Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein continues his reign of terror with the launching of his AS WE DIE WORLD TOUR 2017 supporting the band’s new album, As We Die, an EMP Label Group/ Monsterman Records release in stores or online at Doyle Official and EMP Merch. Launching October 15th in Queens, NY, the tour dominates the East and West coasts before [...]