REVIEW: Direct Hit! – Wasted Mind
Direct Hit! – Wasted Mind
By Spriha Shrestha
Direct Hit! is a band that gives pop punk a better name. The angry vocals of Nick Woods and upbeat sound of the rest of the band outshine the run-of-the-mill bands that have taken over mainstream media . They have managed to create a great equilibrium between hardcore and pop punk. Though Wasted Mind does not sound as hard as previous albums such as Domesplitter (2011), they have made an album that mixes loud and powerful with anthem vibes. Many songs on this album seem to grow on you after you listen to it.
Wasted Mind was the debut for Direct Hit! on Fat Wreck Chords when it was released in June 2016. As with their previous albums, it had an overall theme which in this case was drugs. The album starts off with what seems like a parental advisory message except quite the opposite. The message states that anyone over the age of 40 should stop listening to the album and ends with their tagline “FUCK YOU GET PUMPED”. That transitions into the first song of the album “Artificial Confidence” which has upbeat verses and a melodic chorus which is a reoccurring theme with Direct Hit!
One of the faster songs on the album is “Paid in Brains” which comes with a great music video as well. This song is what made me fall in love with this band and has it louder yelling in the verses which are once again followed up with a catchy chorus. Another catchy (but slow) track is “Hospital for Heroes”. Though it does contain some yelling the majority is slower with lyrics that tell an interesting story.
The rest of the album has unique lyrics and power chords that give Direct Hit! their distinct sound. The album finishes with “Do the Sick” where Nick Woods is almost exclusively screaming the entire way through. This track also includes some fun organ and piano solos (which almost sound like a theme song to a kid’s show) and finishes the album off with a nice abrupt ending.
They have been going on tour this year since January with bands such as Anti-Flag and Bowling for Soup. They are also making an appearance in Gainesville and Tampa, FL for The Fest and Pre-Fest with Against Me! and other bands (not necessarily with exclamation points in the name). So if you want to see an upbeat band with great live energy, see if they are coming to a venue near you!
tldr: This band/album is a great combo for people who love hardcore and pop punk plus they put on a fantastic live show.
- Set the Charge, an interview with front man Anthony Vincent Valbiro — By William Pace I recently got to talk with Anthony Vincent Valbiro, the man behind Ten Second Songs and lead singer of New York-based rock band “Set The Charge.” I hope our conversation will give you an inside view of Anthony and his love of music. Me: When and why did you start playing? [...]
- Sky Goes On, The Follow-Up LP from SET THE CHARGE — By William Pace The New York-based band released their first EP back in 2015 entitled Auditory Insemination. Set The Charge is a four piece band with Anthony (guitar/vocals), Tom (guitars), Frank (drums), and Derek (bass). You might have seen them on AXS TV’s Breaking Band where they worked with Robin Zander of Cheap Trick. Their first [...]
- Transplants are back! — By Craig LeSieg The “most original” Transplants have announced a Friday the 13th release for their new album Take Cover. I’m anxious as hell to hear it and try to grab a numbered copy! So to all you Transplant fans out there get ready, it’s coming! From their Facebook page “Vinyl will be hand numbered & [...]
- All I Want Is More Beer! NOFX and Pennywise Brewing it up. — By Craig LeSieg NOFX and Pennywise striking up deals for one of a kind beer. NOFX and Stone Brewing announce an official Punk in Drublic, and why the hell not, I’d buy it. Meanwhile in Pennywise land, Lost Coast Brewery is pumping out Pennywiser beer. They are both out now so grab them while you [...]
- Laura Jane Grace gives The Mountain Goats some love! — By Craig LeSieg Against Me!‘s Laura Jane Grace has contributed to an upcoming Mountain Goats tribute album “I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats: All Hail West Texas”. She’s covering the song “The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton”. The song is a solo acoustic, and in it’s own unique way hilarious. You can check it out [...]